Perfect Lemon Chia Seed Scones
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 scones
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 + 2 TBSP Cake Flour
2 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
1 TBSP Chia Seeds
1/4 TSP Sea Salt
5 TBSP Chilled Butter
4 TBSP Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup + 2 1/2 TSP Whole Milk (separated)
3 TSP Lemon Extract (Separated)
1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, chia seeds, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk egg and 1/2 cup milk together.
4. Use a cheese grater to grate butter into the flour mixture. Mix butter into flour with your hands until evenly mixed then stir in granulated sugar.
5. Add 2 TSP lemon extract and about 3/4 of the milk and egg mixture (save remainder of mixture) to the flour. Stir using a fork until dough is sticky.
6. On a lightly floured surface knead dough into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut like a pizza, into 8 slices.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place scones about 1 inch apart. Lightly brush the top of scones with remaining egg and milk mixture, avoiding getting it on the sides.
8. Bake scones for approx. 9-10 minutes until very lightly browned.
9. To make lemon glaze, mix together powdered sugar, 1 TSP lemon extract, and 2 1/2 TSP milk. Allow scones to cool and use basting brush to glaze scones. Let sit until glaze is slightly hardened. Enjoy!